Monday, October 22, 2007

something we have to do

Something that I have to do every year but hate is going to my yearly check-up with my sleep doctor in the cities. Every since I was brought to the sleep clinic sophmore year of highschool and diagnosed with narcolepsy, its necassary that I do a yearly check-up to make sure everything is going good for me and that I dont need any changes made in my medication or anything else. I've hated going to the doctor all my life but since I've had to go to so many different ones when we were trying to figure out what was wrong with me, I've grown more used to hospitals. My doctor at the sleep clinic is very nice, but its such a hassle to have to drive there in the first place. And then when we do get there, even if we're on time or even early, we end up waiting for about an hour past our scheduled time before we actualy get in to see the doctor. What makes it even worse is that since my disorder isnt extremely common and iIexperience a lot of other side effects from it also, doctors really take an interest in my case. So usually every year i go there, doctors in training come in groups from their schools to sit in and listen to me and the doctors conversation and then are allowed to ask any questions they want. and every time im always picked to be a guinea pig for them to question. all the people are nice and respectable, but its so weird having to explain the things i go through and experience from my disorder to strangers. especially since a lot of the things i talk about probably dont make total sense to them. i know they are being taught all about my disorder and other ones too so they can one day be a doctor, but no matter how much research and information they have on a disorder still doesnt mean that they understand. the only way to really learn and understand is if you go through it yourself and experience everything first hand. and even though its basically required that i get a check up each year, it still is something that i never look forward to doing.

No comments: